Menu
News

Court battle won't be adjourned

The distraught mother with her daughters whom the Family Court has ruled must fly to Italy on Tuesday. The image has been distorted for legal reasons.
The distraught mother with her daughters whom the Family Court has ruled must fly to Italy on Tuesday. The image has been distorted for legal reasons.

An application to adjourn the drawn out custody battle involving four Sunshine Coast girls and their Italian father has been rejected.

In the Family Court in Brisbane this morning, barrister for the girls' mother, Jacoba Brasch, applied to have the matter adjourned to allow the girls to be reinterviewed by a family court counsellor.

The highly-publicised battle is back before Justice Forrest in the Family Court after a High Court ruling.

The girls were recently interviewed by a family court consultant about whether they wanted to return to Italy and whether they understood the consequences.

But Dr Brasch argued the girls were not asked what they thought if they went back to Italy and were stuck there.

She said there was no evidence the girls were made aware that today's proceedings could be it.

"There is not sense in the report the girls wishes have been examined on the basis today maybe it, full stop," she said.

Dr Brasch said one of the girls had previously threatened self-harm if forced to return to Italy.

She stressed the importance of getting the girls' opinion on returning to Italy and being stuck there considering the threat.

But counsel for the Community Services Department, James Linklater-Steele, argued those questions had been posed.

Mr Linklater-Steele said the mothers attempt for an adjournment was only an appeal point generated with no substance.

"They want to subject these children to another round of interviews," he said.

The court heard the father of the girls had submitted a application in the Italian court in relation to custody  proceedings but nothing had happened yet.

The court also heard the mother had no intention of returning to Italy.

Justice Forest said he was satisfied the family law consultant had ascertained the girls wishes on returning to Italy and the strength of their objections.

He said he was seriously concerned about the length of time the case had already spent in the Family Court and wished to delay it no further.

Dr Brasch will now argue that a order the girls be returned to Italy be overturned.

Topics:  custody battle family court girls italy



EXCLUSIVE: More renewables projects in Gladstone's pipeline

NEW PROJECTS: Renew Estate director says the company is targeting a "20 per cent to 30 per cent reduction in energy bills for a typical home in the region.” (File photo)

"Targeting a 20 per cent to 30 per cent reduction in energy bills.”

113 jobs in the Gladstone region you can apply for right now

JOB OPPORTUNITIES: Cr Cindi Bush has compiled a list of more than 50 jobs taking applications right now.

Cr Cindi Bush has compiled a list of job opportunities.

Seventeen Seventy? The numbers have it

CONFUSION: Backpackers Micheal Brady and Hollie Edmunds were confused by some local signage in 2012.

Residents of the town are pretty clear on what they prefer.

Local Partners