Cockroach burrows into man's ear

A DARWIN man has spoken of a painful hospital visit after a large cockroach burrowed into his ear and how his efforts to suck it out with a vacuum cleaner failed.

Hendrik Helmer's told media his ordeal began in the early hours of Wednesday (Jan 08) morning when he was woken by a sharp pain in his right ear.

"I was hoping it was not a poisonous spider ... I was hoping it did not bite me," he said.

He said that as the pain got worse he tried to suck the insect out with a vacuum cleaner before squirting water in his ear.

When the pain becoming excruciating, his flatmate rushed him to hospital where a doctor removed the critter with forceps.



UPDATE: Car crash on the Bruce Hwy, lane reopened

UPDATE: Car crash on the Bruce Hwy, lane reopened

All occupants are out of the car with minor injuries.

PHOTOS: Crow Street spirit isn't dampened

PHOTOS: Crow Street spirit isn't dampened

Crow Street Food and Music Fest goes ahead despite wet weather

Local Partners