NT Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Bravos has been charged with four counts of rape. PICTURE: Ivan Rachman
NT Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Bravos has been charged with four counts of rape. PICTURE: Ivan Rachman

50 witnesses in Bravos rape trial

ASSISTANT NT Police Commissioner and alleged quadruple rapist Peter Bravos will face trial starting late April 2020.

Supreme Court Registrar Sarah Milligan on Thursday set down Bravos's trial for four weeks starting on April 20 next year, almost two years on from when police first laid charges.

Bravos, who has had senior roles in professional standards and domestic violence, is accused of four counts of rape against two women dating back to 2004 and 2006.

He has indicated he will fight the charges and has been away from work for years on sick leave.

NT Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Bravos outside Darwin Local Court. Picture: KERI MEGELUS
NT Police Assistant Commissioner Peter Bravos outside Darwin Local Court. Picture: KERI MEGELUS

Justice Jenny Blokland will preside over the 52-year-old's trial.

Crown Prosecutor Tami Grealy told the court on Thursday that there would be as many as 50 witnesses to give evidence.

The courts have previously heard many of the witnesses are current and former NT police officers.

Bravos was first charged in July 2018, and was committed to stand trial in June this year, after a series of lengthy adjournments, and after his barrister, John Lawrence SC, cross examined a single witness, lawyer Georgia McMaster, at a two-day committal hearing.

One of the alleged victims had confided in Ms McMaster, who said she took the issue up with former Attorney-General John Elferink.

Few details of the allegations against Bravos have been revealed in court.

The Local Court heard in June that one of the alleged rapes took place on the grass along the Esplanade in Darwin.

Bravos was not personally in court on Thursday.

Ms Milligan extended his bail until the start of his trial, and required him to front court by 4pm on Friday to sign a bail agreement.

She said a warrant for Bravos's arrest would be issued if he failed to sign his bail by Friday afternoon.



'We have listened': Council reveals CQ bridge name

premium_icon 'We have listened': Council reveals CQ bridge name

Gladstone Regional Council have moved to formally name a bridge in the region to...

‘IN SHOCK’: Former councillor in fight for his life

premium_icon ‘IN SHOCK’: Former councillor in fight for his life

Former Gladstone Region councillor Rick Niven talk about his battle with an illness...

ALL SMILES: Gladstone set for $5.2m in works funding

premium_icon ALL SMILES: Gladstone set for $5.2m in works funding

The funding comes from the state’s $200m COVID Works for Qld program and is likely...