Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, formerly Sydney Marriott Hotel in Sydney.
Pullman Sydney Hyde Park, formerly Sydney Marriott Hotel in Sydney.

24 treated after chemical leak in hotel’s aircon

TEN ambulance crews are treating 24 people at a city hotel after chemical reaction caused breathing problems.

Paramedics were called to the Pullman Sydney Hyde Park Hotel at 9am after it is believed hydrogen chloride was mixed with chlorine.

 

 

Patients began complaining of respiratory and eye problems. Picture: Seven News
Patients began complaining of respiratory and eye problems. Picture: Seven News

 

Three people have been taken to hospital.

Patients began complaining of respiratory and eye problems - at least six of them are asthmatics getting priority treatment.

An ambulance officer told The Daily Telegraph today that a gas leak in an airconditioning unit sparked the incident.

"There was a strong chemical smell on 22nd floor," he said.

Emergency crews at the scene. Picture: Dylan Robinson
Emergency crews at the scene. Picture: Dylan Robinson

 

24 patients are being treated for eye irritation and respiratory issues. Picture: Seven News
24 patients are being treated for eye irritation and respiratory issues. Picture: Seven News

 

The Pullman Hotel in Sydney today. Picture: Nick Hansen
The Pullman Hotel in Sydney today. Picture: Nick Hansen

 

"There were several asthmatic patients. Police have blocked entrance at Oxford Street."

Emergency services including police and firefighters are on the scene. Police have placed diversions around the hotel and told motorists to avoid the area, but say there's no ongoing threat to the public.

A NSW Police spokeswoman said "there doesn't appear to be any criminal element to the incident" at this stage.

“There was a strong chemical smell on 22nd floor,” an ambulance officer said. Picture: Dylan Robinson
“There was a strong chemical smell on 22nd floor,” an ambulance officer said. Picture: Dylan Robinson


Our female drink-driving hot spots

premium_icon Our female drink-driving hot spots

Women make up a quarter of Qld’s drink-drivers.

Award-winning light display owners shine light on charity

Award-winning light display owners shine light on charity

This couple definitely has a strong Christmas spirit.

Truckie hurt in Bruce Highway collision

premium_icon Truckie hurt in Bruce Highway collision

EMERGENCY services were called to a multi-vehicle crash overnight

Local Partners