Times gone by: Gladstone Tennis Club official opening
The official opening of the Gladstone Tennis Club's courts for 1929 took place in ideal weather and there was a large attendance of members and visitors.
Some very good tennis was witnessed.
The Gladstone Band has been very active for the last few weeks getting ready for the band contest at Mackay at Easter.
To assist in raising funds they held a motor boat picnic to Gatcombe Heads which was patronised by about 150 people.
Messrs IS Crow, HW Vallis, J Frisch, CD Patrick and GG Dennis lent their boats for the occasion and Mr W Hodge assisted in bringing some of the picnickers back to town.
The band accompanied the excursionists and a most enjoyable day was spent, the weather being ideal.
The hockey season will open in two week's time and a gala street parade is promised to officially open the hockey year.
All the teams are to march and they will be led by the Gladstone Municipal Band.
According to old photographs, these street marches were events of the season many years ago.
A pat on the back is due to those keen sportspeople who have worked so hard and continuously throughout the off season to have the fields in tip-top condition for the opening.
Some wives of hockey enthusiasts were heard to complain they have almost forgotten what their husbands look like, as they spend so much time at the grounds.