TERMS AND CONDITIONS: The Observer – Young Writer Awards
- By entering this competition, Contestants agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. Contestants must be Australian residents who reside within The Observer distribution area to be eligible to enter.
- Contestants under the age of 18 years at the time of entry must have parent or legal guardian consent to be eligible to enter.
- If there is any inconsistency between these Terms and Conditions and anything else that refers to this competition, these Terms and Conditions will prevail.
- The Promoter is Gladstone Newspaper Company Pty Ltd, 130 Auckland Street, Gladstone Qld 4680. ABN 25 009 781 891.
- To enter, Contestants must write a story of 500 words or less.
- Contestants must submit their story along with their name, address, phone number, age, school grade, school attending, Parent/guardian name and Parent/guardian signature.
- Stories must be original.
- Photocopies, scanned images, web prints, reproductions or other falsified artwork will not be accepted.
- Entry opens on the first day of each month and closes on the last Friday of each month.
- New stories must be submitted for each month of entry.
- The contestant must place their story in an envelope addressed to The Observer – Young Writer Awards, with their name and address clearly marked on the back; then
- Deliver to: The Observer, 130 Auckland Street, Gladstone Qld 4680; or
- Send to: PO Box 351, Gladstone Qld 4680.
- Entries must be received within the Promotion period.
- Contestants may submit more than one entry, however there is only one (1) winner in each category each month.
- Entrants are responsible for any cost associated with delivering entries via office delivery or by post.
- High School Students: Year 7 to Year 12 at the time of entry.
- Primary School Students: Prep to Year 6 at the time of entry.
- There will be One (1) winner chosen for each age category from entries received for each month.
One (1) winner from each category will win:
- One trophy, retail value $20.00 (inclusive of GST).
- One (1) Coles Myer Voucher. Retail value $30.00 (inclusive of GST).
- The winning story from each category will be published in The Observer the following month.
- The total maximum retail value of the prizes is $1,200.00 (inclusive of GST).
- All prizes are valued inclusive of GST and the Promoter takes no responsibility for any Variation in item values.
- Any taxes which may be payable as a consequence of a contestant winning a prize, are the sole responsibility of that winner.
- Prizes are non-transferable and can’t be redeemed for cash. If the specified prize becomes unavailable due to unforeseen circumstances, the Promoter may substitute a prize of similar nature and/or like or greater value.
- The competition commences on the first day of each month commencing February 1, 2016 and entries close at 5:00pm on the last Friday of each month throughout 2016. (“Promotion period”). Entries received after each monthly promotion period will be deemed as invalid. New stories must be submitted for each month of entry to be deemed valid entries.
- The following persons are ineligible to enter:
- Employees of, or contractors to, the Promoter as far as they are directly associated with this competition;
- The spouse, de facto spouse, parent, natural or adopted child, and sibling (whether natural or adopted by a parent), of such employees and contractors (whether or not they live in the same household);
- Contestants who have used or attempted to use any more than one name in order to qualify to win any contest run by the Promoter except in the case of a legal change of name.
- All Contestants acknowledge that even if the Promoter only learns of a person’s ineligibility after the Promoter has appeared to award the prize to the ineligible person, it may require the return of the prize or payment of its value to the Promoter to be dealt with as an unclaimed prize.
- The monthly prize winners will be selected via in-house judging by The Observer editorial team with the story in each category deemed as the best story of the month.
- Judging will take place at The Observer office, 130 Auckland Street, Gladstone Qld 4680 at 10:00am (AEST) Monday, following the last Friday of each month. Prizes will be awarded following winner validation and verification. Winners will be contacted by telephone.
- Judges decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- Winners will be published in The Observer public notices each Friday following the last Friday of the month.
- All Contestants acknowledge that the Promoter has the right to publicise and publish his/her name, character and likeness.
- All contest winners must avail themselves for a photo if required by the Promoter and acknowledge that the Promoter has the right to utilise publicity photos in any reasonable manner it sees fit without compensation to the Contestant.
- Prizes must be claimed in person from The Observer office unless Winner is otherwise advised and Government issued Photo ID is required to confirm identity and residential address.
- Any winner must complete a Competition Release Form to confirm collection of their prize.
- Children under the age of 16 years must be accompanied by a Parent/Guardian to collect their prize. All prizes (other than specified) must be picked up within 90 days of notification. It is the sole responsibility of the winner to claim their prize. Prizes that remain uncollected after 90 days notification will be entered back into a redraw at The Observer, 130 Auckland Street, Gladstone Qld 4680.
PROMOTER’S LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
28. The Promoter is not responsible for the loss of prizes due to incorrect or imprecise delivery details provided by a winner. The Promoter also takes no responsibility for prizes lost or stolen after they have been released for delivery via postage or courier.
29. The Promoter makes no representations or warranties as to the quality, suitability or merchantability of any of the goods/services offered as prizes.
30. To the extent permitted by law, the Promoter is not liable for any loss suffered or sustained by any person and including, but not limited to consequential (including economic) loss by reason of any act or omission, deliberate or negligent, by the Promoter, or its servants or agents, in connection with the arrangement for supply, or the supply, of any goods or services by any person to the prize winner(s) and, where applicable, to any persons accompanying the winners.
FURTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS
31. Subject to complying with all relevant state and Territory legislation, the Promoter reserves the right to amend, cancel or suspend this competition if an event beyond the control of the Promoter corrupts nor affects the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the competition. The Promoter will disqualify any individual who has tampered with the entry process or any other aspect of this competition.
32. If for any reason this competition is not capable of running as planned, including due to infection by computer virus, bugs, tampering, unauthorised intervention, fraud, technical failures or any causes beyond the control of the Promoter, which corrupt or infect the administration, security fairness or integrity or proper conduct of this promotion, the Promoter reserves the right in its sole discretion to disqualify any individual who tampers with the entry process, take any action that may be available, and to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the competition, subject to any direction given by State Regulation.
33. All entries become and remain the property of the Promoter and its related parties, subject to the limits contained in the Privacy Statement and as set out in these terms and conditions.
35. To facilitate your participation, the Promoter may disclose your personal information to other companies associated with this promotion.