News

Woman feared for safety in wild car ride

A WOMAN feared for her safety as she sat in the front passenger seat of a vehicle being driven dangerously by Lachlan Charles Blair.

The young man refused to let her get out of the car as he drove erratically in North Mackay, forcing other motorists off the road.

At the time, the 22-year-old's licence was disqualified by a court order, his sixth court-ordered disqualification. It is his second dangerous driving charge.

Blair is expected to be jailed after pleading guilty to 14 offences between February and October last year, including deprivation of liberty, dangerous driving and driving while disqualified, which occurred in June last year.

Defence solicitor Nickie King, of Legal Aid Queensland, told the Mackay Magistrates Court Blair panicked when he saw an unmarked police vehicle on June 28.

Prosecutor Sergeant Sabine Scott said Blair demanded the woman exchange seats with him and was angry when she refused.

She attempted to get out of the car, but Blair drove off. He was driving in an aggressive manner, using excessive speed and weaving through traffic to overtake other vehicles on Ron Searle Dr, the court heard.

Blair deprived the woman of her liberty as he attempted to evade police, Sgt Scott said. The woman had asked to be let out multiple times. Blair just yelled and swore at her telling her to "shut the (expletive) up", the court heard.

She didn't know where she was going and felt she was being held against her will, Sgt Scott said.

Ms King said Blair had told the woman he would let her out near a friend's house.

"I don't think he deliberately set out to harm the victim," she said.

An officer had noticed Blair wasn't wearing a seatbelt. When he attempted to intercept, Blair drove off.

A psychological assessment of Blair described him as "drifting, impulsive and reactive in his choices", the court heard. "Generally speaking... the defendant has an atrocious traffic history," Sgt Scott said.

Despite this, Ms King said Blair had good rehabilitation prospects.

"He's ashamed to be going back to jail," Ms King said.

"(He recognises) the gravity of these offences and what it means for his life.

"He knows that his behaviour was completely foolish... he doesn't make good decisions under pressure."

Blair was "terrified" of returning to jail, Ms King said.

On a previous occasion he was kept in protective custody because he was approached by other inmates, she said.

Sgt Scott said Blair "has a tendency to blame others" for his circumstances.

Magistrate Ross Risson adjourned the matter for sentence.

Topics:  crime, safety, vehicle




UPDATE: Chemical spill closes road as police investigate death in Gladstone horror crash

A driver had died in a crash on Hanson Rd.

POLICE investigate the death of a 23-yearold in yesterday's crash.

UPDATE: Migaloo ventured past Gladstone today

FILE: Migaloo is expected to cruise past Gladstone this weekend.

All-white humpback whale Migaloo returns

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles