Teen love affair between 14yo and 17yo ends in court

A JUDGE has found a love affair between a 14-year-old girl and a 17-year-old family friend (neither of whom we have named, to protect their identity) was not a case of exploitative behaviour.

In District Court in Gladstone, Judge Douglas McGill SC said there was no suggestion the conduct was anything but entirely consensual.

"She was 14 so not particularly young. She was a willing party to the offending at the time," Judge McGill said.

Your thoughts on the law around underage sex:

This poll ended on 28 July 2015.

The current law is too harsh - 43%

The current law is not harsh enough - 27%

They've got it right - 29%

This is not a scientific poll. The results reflect only the opinions of those who chose to participate.

His Honour made the comments while sentencing a Gladstone man who pleaded guilty to two counts of indecent treatment of a child under 16 between January 1 and May 31 last year, two counts of having carnal knowledge of a child under 16, and possession of child exploitation material; images of the girl.

Crown prosecutor Sandra Cupina said any sexual offending against a child aged 14 was always serious because they were "too young to give consent" and there were the dangers of pregnancy and disease.

In a victim impact statement, the girl's mother wrote the offending caused her daughter to grow up quickly.

Defence barrister Tom Polley said the relationship was "not of a predatory nature but a natural progression into a boyfriend, girlfriend situation".

"He (the defendant) is now thinking clearly and regrets his actions and sorry for what he's done," he said.

"He comes before the court technically an adult but in essence it was two children taking things a bit too far."

Mr Polley said the young man had a promising football career until an injury put him out of contention to sign a training contact with a state team. He had been left in a low mood for some time and this led to problems with alcohol and drugs, which he no longer took.

Mr Polley said he was highly thought of by people who supplied references. Mr Polley said it was likely he would be placed on the sexual offenders register and it was unfortunate Queensland courts were not given "discretion" with that.

Judge McGill said it was very unlikely the man, now 19, would reoffend, however there was a need to deter similar behaviour by others.

He said the girl at first told police she did not want him charged but it seemed she had a change of heart some months later.

Judge McGill said the victim impact statement suggested there had not been much of an adverse effect although there was an "early sexualisation". "There was no suggestion of any physical harm here," he said.

"When its seriousness was brought home to you that this behaviour was wrong you stopped," he told the man.

Judge McGill placed the man on a two year probation order, and ordered him to complete 200 hours of unpaid community service work.

No conviction was recorded.

Topics:  editors picks gladstone district court sexual offence

Thousands frock up for Ferguson Park's Cox Plate Day: Photos

Ruan Bimrose, Hollie Bimrose, Stephanie Burns and Sarah Meesham at the Ferguson Park races

See who was out for a punt at Ferguson Park for the Cox Plate Day

BREAKING: Car crashes into power pole in Gladstone

A driver has crashed their small Kia into a pole outside Hungry Jacks.

A CAR has crashed into a pole outside Hungry Jacks at Gladstone.

'Big relief': Emergency service boost with $150K fire station

START YOUR ENGINES: First officers Danny Devers, Errol Noye, Jason Polzin, Judy Ferrari, Colleen Yarrow, David Kretschmer, Jeremey Banks and Ron Barker from around the region hold up their keys to eight new Yellow Rural Fire Trucks.

"We've got it now and we won't give it up”

Local Partners

Top floor teams take out The Block's terrace week

Kim and Chris pictured on their winning outdoor terrace in a scene from The Block.

RIVALS Kim and Chris and Julia and Sasha tie in final week of work.

Bob Dylan slammed as 'arrogant' for Nobel silence

Nobel Prize winner Bob Dylan.

Singer the controversial winner of literature Nobel

Shannen Doherty reveals fear of dying in post on chemo

Actor Shannen Doherty shared this image of her lying in a hospital bed after a chemotherapy session.

Actor has been fighting cancer since 2015

Eddie Redmayne's stage fright on latest Harry Potter film

Actor Eddie Redmayne stars in Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Actor felt like kid again when he got to film with a wand

Salma Hayek: 'Trump planted story because I turned him down'

Actor Salma Hayek is the latest woman who says U.S presidential nominee Donald Trump acted inappropriately.

Salma Hayek latest woman to accuse Trump of misconduct

Brisbane snake catcher shows who's the Boss

Brisbane snake catcher Julia Baker returns in season two of Snake Boss.

Hit show Snake Boss is back for another season

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

Push to sell homes that flooded Gladstone's market

Suburban housing in Glenvale, Toowoomba, Friday, October 17, 2014. Photo Kevin Farmer / The Chronicle

URGENT push to cash-up first home buyers investing in Gladstone.

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.