News

Police nab speedsters wreaking havoc on Qld roads

SPEED demons are causing the most trouble for Queensland Police as officers try to stem the rising road toll these Christmas holidays.

Road Policing Command inspector Peter Flanders said a speed camera in the central region, which included Bundaberg, Gladstone, Gympie, Mackay, Maryborough, Rockhampton and the Sunshine Coast, clocked a motorbike rider travelling at 215kmh on Monday.

The rider was in a 110kmh zone on the Bruce Hwy at Glasshouse Mountains.

Another driver in the same area was caught travelling at 177kmh and a station wagon was clocked doing 123kmh in an 80kmh zone on the Bruce Hwy at Tinana South, near Maryborough.

"If something goes wrong ... it doesn't matter if you're the greatest driver in the world," said Insp Flanders, the officer in charge of the police road safety campaign.

"The tiniest thing has to happen and that person's dead or another person's dead. A number of families will not have the same people at the Christmas table next year." A 28-year-old man driving a black ute at Gladstone created dramatic scenes on Boxing Day; driving dangerously before crashing.

He managed to flee police first in the mangroves, and later in bushland. Gladstone Police are yet to catch him.

Insp Flanders said police struggled to get the Fatal Five message - to pay attention, wear a seatbelt and avoid speeding, driving while fatigued and drink and drug driving - across to 10% of drivers.

Eight drunk drivers were caught on the roads in the central region on Monday, day six of the campaign.

A drunk driver caught at Mount Perry, 100km west of Bundaberg, had a blood alcohol level of 0.179%.

"Warnings get through to 90% of people," Insp Flanders said. "The other 10% take their own life... and they take these risks with our lives."


A SINGLE DAY: December 28 QLD statistics

Fatals: 0

People injured: 4

RBTs: 13,638

Drink drivers: 41

Drug tests: 229

Roadside positive drug tests: 46

Speed camera detections: 3143

Speeding (other): 861

Seatbelt offences: 31

Mobile phone offences: 52

Other offences: 804

*Source: QPS

Topics:  crime, police, road toll, speeding




Biofuel boss inspects Yarwun site, talks financial challenges

OPTIMISTIC: Southern Oil Refinery managing director Tim Rose looks at the work started in preparation for the $16 million biofuels plant.

Tim Rose inspects the construction work at Northern Oil Refinery

Gladstone pub unveils new menu with all hand-made ingredients

Rocky Glen hotel head chef Keith Symons, Ivan Turner, Penny Isenbert, David Roberts and Mel Noach.

"The new menu has seen a 40% improvement in food sales..."

Latest deals and offers

The Hard Word reviews Kyzer Soze

Kyzer Soze are playing Brisbane tomorrow at the Crowbar in Fortitude Valley. Photo Contributed

Kyzer Soze summon the evil for this mighty slab of death metal

Britney Spears 'almost drowned' in Hawaii

Britney Spears has revealed she 'almost drowned' while on holiday

Doco reveals real story behind Black Hawk Down

Former Black Hawk pilot Mike Durant shares his story, which helped to inspire the movie Black Hawk Down, in the TV series No Man Left Behind.

FORMER pilot recounts ordeal which inspired a Hollywood movie.

What's on the big screen this week

Toby Kebbell and Jack Huston in a scene from the movie Ben-Hur.

AN OLD classic returns to the big screen with a new young star.

Bachelor Richie gives bacon-loving Noni the boot

Noni Janur features on this season of The Bachelor.

TOOWOOMBA swimwear designer still single but focusing on her career.

Zumbo's Just Desserts serves up magical dishes

Gigi Falanga, left, joins hosts Adriano Zumbo and Rachel Khoo on the TV series Zumbo's Just Desserts.

ADRIANO Zumbo’s decadent creations have become prime-time viewing.

ISLAND FOR SALE: Cheap Fraser Coast island drops price again

Suna Island in the Great Sandy Strait will be auctioned by Ray White Hervey Bay on Saturday morning.

This is the cheapest island you will find for sale in Australia

How a family home can fit on a 250sq m block

This is what you can build on 250m2.

Here's the floor plan of a home built on 250sq m

$100m plan for Curtis Island 'world class' luxury resort

$100 million resort: Top views at Turtle Street at Curtis Island.

"At the moment we think it meets all the town planning approvals.”

Gladstone landlords in trouble with Bechtel job losses

"If a big project was announced tomorrow I wouldn't want to see it"

Coast building approvals at seven-year high: report

The the 2015/16 Development Indicators Annual Highlights Report documents local development activity that took place during the last financial year.

New report shows increasing development on the Sunshine Coast

Top honours for Mackay and Whitsunday builders

The Kerrisdale Gardens property from Paynter Dixon Queensland which won them Project of the Year.

Mackay and Whitsunday builders awarded top honours last night.