News

QCLNG worker says he was fired for raising safety concerns

AS A health and safety representative on the QCLNG site, Joe Munro was chosen by his work mates to put forward their safety concerns.

He claims to have done just that and paid the ultimate price.

"I was called in for a disciplinary meeting on Tuesday," he said.

"I was told I was no longer required on site."

Until Tuesday, Mr Munro was employed by Bechtel as a crane operator.

He said there had been a build-up of accidents on the site over many months.

"About three or four months ago a bloke got hit across the face with a wire," Mr Munro said.

"It smashed him off the 1.8m platform.

"He's still not working, he's not real good."

Mr Munro recalls several recent incidents where objects have been dropped from height, the latest involving a crowbar.

"We've been asking to have procedures put in place to try and stop the objects falling," he said.

"They introduced a tool lanyard policy three to four weeks ago but as of last week there were still none available."

Mr Munro said a hammer being dropped on a worker's head last week was the last straw for 57 workers.

"We had a meeting and the boys voted that we sit in the crib huts until something was done about it," he said.

"We decided on a stoppage of work due to a reasonable belief that there was a safety hazard."

"The boys haven't been happy for a long time."

Mr Munro said everyone who was involved in the sit-in was given a written warning.

"It was my job to stand up for the boys and that's what I did," he said.

"If you say anything, you're just putting your job on the line."

In response to Mr Munro's allegations, Bechtel Gladstone general manager Kevin Berg said the worker involved in the incident several months ago had been supported by Bechtel throughout his recovery and was working with the company's return-to-work co-ordinators to be placed back on the project.

Mr Berg said tool lanyards were available for all employees on site and were required to be used when working at heights.

"The use of tool lanyards and working-at-heights procedures are common practice across our projects and are fully implemented."

Topics:  bechtel, qclng, strike




'You bet it is' worth it: Boyne Smelter worker, 68, hits 40-year mark

Boyne Smelter general manager Joe Rea, with long service award winners Don and wife Norma McKerchar and Bill with wife Bev Miskin, and operational manager Kerry Moran.

IF YOU asked Bill if safety was worth it, he'd say “you bet it is"

Gladstone man threatens to tape up, stab lover in violent attack

GLADSTONE man threatens to tape lovers mouth, stab her.

Fog smothers Gladstone with 'moist' coastal air

Gladstone was covered by fog this morning.

GLADSTONE locals have woken up to a sheath of low lying fog.

Latest deals and offers

Pokemon Go: "Trading" on the horizon as game evolves

No Caption

Pokemon GO players will soon be able to trade with other trainers

Bindi Irwin: ‘I’ve lived 10 lives in one lifetime’

Bindi meets her fans.

SHE'S just turns 18 but Bindi's life has been full of experiences

Rockhampton cook through to MasterChef semi-final

FAMILY:MasterChef semi-finalist Harry Foster pictured with his mum Ria McClelland.

Harry Foster through to MasterChef semi-finals.

Pop icon and former Neighbours star buys into Byron

Singer Natalie Imbruglia. Supplied by Sony Music Australia.

Former actor turned pop singer joins Byron celebrity rush.

MASTERCHEF: Coast cooks to dominate finals

SO CLOSE: MasterChef's final four, from left, Matt Sinclair, Elise Franciskovic, Harry Foster and Elena Duggan. Elise’s elimination means now only the three Sunshine Coast contestants remain in the competition.

MasterChef finals will be mandatory viewing in three Coast homes

The best and worst bits of Splendour from our experts

The Amphitheatre received Flume with open arms and danced to his music on Sunday night.

Glitter, fake marriages, see-through clothing and gorgeous weather

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles