News

Man faces trial on charge of indecently dealing with a child

A MOTHER broke down in Gladstone District Court on Monday as she recounted the moment her daughter told her of an alleged incident which resulted in a man standing trial on three counts of indecent treatment of a child aged under 12.

A jury must decide whether the man is guilty of three counts of indecent treatment, on an Easter weekend in 2012, at a residence in Raglan.

The trial began on the first day of District Court proceedings for the year in Gladstone.

The court heard how the victim was alleged to have been indecently treated by the defendant, while the victim's father slept in the same house.

The victim, aged under 10 at the time of the incident, gave evidence via pre-recorded video in Gladstone District Court on Monday, after Crown Prosecutor Clare Hurley opened the case against the accused.

Details of the alleged offending were laid out in the Crown's opening statements.

Ms Hurley said the victim had gone into the accused's bedroom, asking him if he wanted to have a "body-part party", which the defendant was alleged to have participated in with the young girl.

The Crown said the man and his young victim had touched each other all over, including their genitals, before the defendant masturbated in front of the girl.

Details of the alleged incident only became known to police after the victim revealed a "secret" to her grandmother in the days following.

After this, the victim then revealed the alleged incident to her mother, which resulted in the offences being reported to police.

While the defendant appeared expressionless in the dock throughout the day's proceedings, the mother of the victim struggled when it came time for her to give evidence.

"He touched her wizzer, and he told her to massage his wizzer," the mother said before leaving in tears after completing her evidence.

The trial is expected to last three days, with the Crown witnesses to complete their evidence on Tuesday before the defence begin their submissions.

Topics:  child abuse, crime, gladstone district court




Owner told he has no insurance as Gladstone home burns

The owner of this New Auckland home had been renovating it for three years this October and yesterday it went up in flames.

Three years of renos go up in smoke

UPDATE: Migaloo ventured past Gladstone today

FILE: Migaloo is expected to cruise past Gladstone this weekend.

All-white humpback whale Migaloo returns

UPDATE: Chemical spill closes road as police investigate death in Gladstone horror crash

A driver had died in a crash on Hanson Rd.

POLICE investigate the death of a 23-yearold in yesterday's crash.

Latest deals and offers

Drowning Pool gig review at Max Watt's

Drowning Pool played Brisbane with A Breach of Silence and She Cries Wolf at the Max Watt's House of Music.

Drowning Pool prove that 'bodies' hit the floor when they play

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles