News

Jaw breaker who was abused, spat on, found not guilty

A FORMER security guard has walked free after fracturing the jaw of another bloke outside the Grand Hotel.

Paul Barry Smith, 33, was off-duty from his job when he punched out Adam Butler on July 15, 2010.

He appeared on Thursday in the Gladstone District Court, pleading not guilty to assault causing bodily harm.

Mr Smith, who had worked as muscle for musicians Shannon Noll and Jimmy Barnes, was having a drink with a mate at the Young Australian Hotel earlier in the day of the incident.

But things soon turned sour when Mr Butler, another punter at the pub, allegedly said he wanted to fight Smith, calling him a "f**king fa**ot".

Smith told the court he didn't want any confrontation, so he finished his drink and left.

He ended up at the Grand Hotel a short time later where he saw Butler arrive in a taxi with his partner Cindy Burnside, both 37 at the time.

The court heard the defendant and the couple were chest to chest as they exchanged heated words.

Butler allegedly spat on Smith who knocked him to the ground in response.

As Butler tried to get up, he threw another punch which Smith blocked before throwing another one back.

Smith yesterday told the court he reacted out of a fear of contracting hepatitis C from bodily fluids, including spit, due to the nature of his work.

"I was scared; I instantly freaked out," Mr Smith said.

The court saw CCTV footage of the incident.

Crown Prosecutor Susan Hedge argued that Smith's punches and block looked "hard, practised and professional".

Mr Smith told the court his first fight was probably with his teddy bears, the one and only time he punched a boxing bag was in high school and he had received no practical training to become a security guard.

Defence lawyer David Murray asked the jury to not judge Mr Smith by his shaved head, tattoos and earrings.

"You don't know anything about him," Mr Murray said.

"He responded just like you or I might respond. What would you do if you were spat on?"

Crown prosecutor Hedge said Mr Smith's reaction was disproportionate and unlawful, just like in State of Origin the night before when New South Wales player Paul Gallen took several swings at Queensland's Nate Myles.

The jury found Mr Smith not guilty.

Topics:  assault, gladstone, gladstone district court, grand hotel




Anger boils as 18 Syrian sailors let off ship into Gladstone without visas

OS35, the ship which was carrying the Syrian sailors.

BOATLOAD of Syrian sailors allowed to leave ship without visas.

Boyne woman on drug trafficking charges now 'pregnant'

NEW CONDITIONS: Hannah Quant arrives at Gladstone Courthouse to apply for bail changes.

Court tells accused trafficker she must live with mum

What Woolworths job losses will mean for the Gladstone region

WOOLWORTHS. Photo Emma Channon/Warwick Daily News

Seventeen underperformers will be closed down.

Latest deals and offers

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

Taylor Swift's ex throws support behind Kanye West

Calvin Harris shares a sing-along with Kanye West

Michael Jackson's jailed doctor wants his license back

Conrad Murray wants his medical licence back.

Pokemon Go: "Trading" on the horizon as game evolves

No Caption

Pokemon GO players will soon be able to trade with other trainers

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles