FIREFIGHTERS had to punch holes through the walls of a Calliope in order to stop a fire that was spreading into its ceiling.
It was one of three fires local crews were called to on Saturday.
The fire --- caused by an electrical fault --- started in the wall of the office, before spreading to the ceiling.
It was contained within 20 minutes, but Calliope Auxiliary Fire Service lieutenant Jeremy Lanzon said it could have been worse.
The family noticed the fire when their power tripped and they saw smoke coming through the house.
Within five minutes, the fire crews were at the home.
"It was very lucky that this happened during the day, and that they were home.
"We contained the fire to a square metre after it spread from the wall up into the ceiling. It caused damage to the roof trusses and wall frame."
Mr Lanzon said the incident reinforced the need for residents to check their smoke alarms.
"Coming into what's
looking to be a very bad fire season, that's something that is very important."
The other fires on Saturday included a grass fire that saw four brigades at a blaze in Lorikeet Ave in New Auckland.
Smoke could be seen billowing throughout the suburb.
Fire crews also worked to control a blaze in Mount Alma.
It was burning on the Dawson Hwy but made no threat to homes.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.