Lifestyle

VIDEO: No more funding for medical bus as dollars run out

THE wheels on the Rotary Medical Bus won't be going around as of today.

The free service is an initiative by the combined Rotary clubs of Gladstone and has been fully funded by Santos GLNG since the service was established in 2011.

Santos bought the bus and has contributed more than $355,000 to its operation. But the company's involvement in the program ceases today.

The aim of the program was to provide a free return service to all patients seeking specialised medical treatment in Rockhampton.

>> FAST FACTS: Four seniors share why they need a medical bus

It ran three days a week, leaving from the Gladstone Senior Citizen's Centre and delivering patients to a number of clinics.

Original coordinator and senior Rotarian Len Woodman said the bus had been a blessing for patients.

"Naturally I am disappointed that the service had to stop, but really appreciate the support given by GLNG. We couldn't have done it without them," he said.

"It was used a lot by mums with medical problems because they were able to take their children with them on the bus."

Santos GLNG Gladstone stakeholder manager Gary Scanlan said the company was still in contact with Rotary.

"We continue to provide ongoing advice to Rotary to help them secure a sustainable future for the service," he said.

Mr Woodman stressed patients wouldn't be forgotten about.

"It doesn't mean there's not a chance for (a bus) in the future because obviously there's a need there," he said.

"The health service hasn't improved in Gladstone really since the time the service started.

"At the moment a dedicated group continues to look at other options."

Rotary Club of Calliope president Peter Masters said the club would do whatever it took to see the service continue.

The club has been applying for local grants since January.

"Being a new club we didn't have the money but we did have the time," Mr Masters said.

"We went through and applied for a lot of grants and are still actively seeking grants."

Mr Woodman encouraged businesses who were interested in supporting the service to call him on (07) 4978 4328.

YOUR VIEWS: Got an idea to share about this topic? Let us know by contacting (07) 4970 3030 or laura.mckee@gladstoneobserver.com.au.




Police release CCTV footage of violent nightclub incident

PRIME SUSPECT: Police would like to speak to this man or anyone who knows him in relation to an alleged assault at Industrie Nightclub on July 2.

SECURITY guard left with multiple facial fractures.

UPDATE: Caravan rollover blocks Bruce Hwy in Gladstone region

The road is closed but should be open again before 11.30am

Hats off to this Kin Kora mum

Anneta Lester has been named the winner of McDonald’s Silver Hat Award.

Working mum of four excels on the job

Latest deals and offers

Harry's MasterChef exit makes way for all-Noosa grand final

Harry Foster congratulates MasterChef finalists Elena Duggan and Matt Sinclair after a closely-fought semi-final.

YOUNG Rocky-born cook now working in his dream job in Tasmania.

Kim Kardashian West bemused by selfie 'drama'

Kim didn't expect her naked selfie to cause the stir it did

Alicia Vikander hasn't been home since Oscars

Alicia Vikander "hasn't been home" for nearly nine months.

Tom Hiddleston not worried about relationship attention

Attention doesn't bother 'authentic' Hiddleston

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field to expand family?

Robbie Williams and Ayda Field want more children.

Licking incident bars Ariana from performing at White House

Ariana Grande has been blocked from performing at the White House

You can own this Queensland town for just $1

Yelarbon

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles