News

Camping trip cancelled after gas bottle catches fire

Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion.
Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion. Mike Richards GLA020415FIRE

UPDATE SATURDAY: A two-week camping trip for the Vangelder family went up in a ball of flames on Thursday when their trailer full of camping equipment caught fire in the Bunnings Centre car park.

Police said it was a timely reminder to be safe at the start of the Easter holidays.

Hundreds of people had to be evacuated from the area in what was an "extremely difficult" situation, according to a local fire chief.

James Vangelder's son - who was taken to hospital as a result of the incident - was changing the gas bottle on their camping fridge when one of the bottles caught on fire.

His son managed to move two other gas bottles out of the way of the flames, moments before the entire trailer caught alight.

Mr Vangelder said the family's holiday was now off the cards, and he would be going straight back to work to pay for the damage.

"There were eight of us going to North West Island for two weeks and that's obviously not going to happen," he said.

"(My son) is in hospital now. He is alright but is just a little shocked and feels like it's all his fault."

Gladstone Fire Station acting station officer Dale Iwanicki said it was lucky nobody was seriously injured.

"We urge the public to take care all the time ... when using gas cylinders," he said.

UPDATE FRIDAY 3PM:

QFES said a gas bottle was on fire when they arrived, while two others had been removed from the area.

The gas bottles were on the family's trailer, as they were packing to go on holidays.

UPDATE 2.34PM:

QAS were called to the scene at 2pm after reports surfaced a gas cylinder had exploded.

The owner of the vehicle's son, a 25-year-old male, was transported to hospital in a stable condition, suffering from symptoms of shock.

EARLIER:

POLICE are stopping traffic into the Bunnings Gladstone carpark after a gas bottle explosion.

The area, on the corner of Dawson Hwy and Harvey Rd, was being evacuated and the entrances closed off.

It is unknown if anyone has been injured but emergency services including paramedics and firies are on site.

A Bunnings staffer reported that a camper trailer gas bottle exploded.

Topics:  editors picks, emergency, gas bottle, gladstone




Join the Community.

Get your local news, your way.

Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

Gladstone drug accused has bail hearing adjourned

Bail hearing adjourned for accused drug trafficker

Disaster relief delay could dent state budget

Boyne River Floods at Ubobo - User Contributed

Doubts over disaster relief for Gladstone ratepayers.

High range drinker caught on Mercedes St

Police conduct a traffic blitz near the Big Pineapple to set the tone for the school holiday period.

Man busted for a boozy night.

Latest deals and offers

Derek Rucker leaving Gladstone Courthouse

Derek Rucker leaves Gladstone Courthouse. Photo Ross Irby / The Observer

Derek Rucker faced the Gladstone court yesterday, accused of $20,000 of fraud.

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 5

Officers drag the woman back to her cell

In this video the woman drinks water from the toilet.

IBAC Evidence Police Bashing 4

In this video the woman asks for water as the tap in the room is broken

Gladstone hits top in state for vacancies

Gladstone has the highest residential rental vacancy rate in Qld

Sale nears on last large block of land in Coolum

The 43.37ha property on South Coolum Rd has sold.

South Coolum Rd property to be land banked