News

Camping trip cancelled after gas bottle catches fire

Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion.
Emergency services are on site at the Bunnings Gladstone centre after a gas bottle explosion. Mike Richards GLA020415FIRE

UPDATE SATURDAY: A two-week camping trip for the Vangelder family went up in a ball of flames on Thursday when their trailer full of camping equipment caught fire in the Bunnings Centre car park.

Police said it was a timely reminder to be safe at the start of the Easter holidays.

Hundreds of people had to be evacuated from the area in what was an "extremely difficult" situation, according to a local fire chief.

James Vangelder's son - who was taken to hospital as a result of the incident - was changing the gas bottle on their camping fridge when one of the bottles caught on fire.

His son managed to move two other gas bottles out of the way of the flames, moments before the entire trailer caught alight.

Mr Vangelder said the family's holiday was now off the cards, and he would be going straight back to work to pay for the damage.

"There were eight of us going to North West Island for two weeks and that's obviously not going to happen," he said.

"(My son) is in hospital now. He is alright but is just a little shocked and feels like it's all his fault."

Gladstone Fire Station acting station officer Dale Iwanicki said it was lucky nobody was seriously injured.

"We urge the public to take care all the time ... when using gas cylinders," he said.

UPDATE FRIDAY 3PM:

QFES said a gas bottle was on fire when they arrived, while two others had been removed from the area.

The gas bottles were on the family's trailer, as they were packing to go on holidays.

UPDATE 2.34PM:

QAS were called to the scene at 2pm after reports surfaced a gas cylinder had exploded.

The owner of the vehicle's son, a 25-year-old male, was transported to hospital in a stable condition, suffering from symptoms of shock.

EARLIER:

POLICE are stopping traffic into the Bunnings Gladstone carpark after a gas bottle explosion.

The area, on the corner of Dawson Hwy and Harvey Rd, was being evacuated and the entrances closed off.

It is unknown if anyone has been injured but emergency services including paramedics and firies are on site.

A Bunnings staffer reported that a camper trailer gas bottle exploded.

Topics:  editors picks, emergency, gas bottle, gladstone




Stay Connected

Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.

'I just thought all mums got no sleep'

MELTOPIA battled PND with all four of her children.

4 survival tips for mummas heading back to work

The few reminders every working mum needs to read.

'I apologise every day that I am not the person he married'

My battle with postnatal depression...

Health and nutrition with kids - how do you balance it?

HOW important is health and nutrition in your household?

Smack or no smack - where do you stand?

THE debate is reignited - is smacking acceptable?

Technology and kids: Do you ever cut their wi-fi?

Check out our new video series featuring mums having a chat

15 changes that could affect you from July 1

Waleed Aly, left, joins The Project full time in 2015. Pictured with Carrie Bickmore and Peter Helliar. Supplied by Network Ten.

Plenty of changes arriving on July 1

Woman steals pregnancy test kit to avoid ‘gossip’

DIY pregnancy test kits.

Woman steals pregnancy kit to avoid small town gossip

Latest deals and offers

60th wedding anniversary

Leila and Pertti 'Peter' Kouivunen celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary this month.

Leila Koivunen has just celebrated her 60th wedding anniversary with husband...

Zac Beers on MEdicare

Labor held a rally on Dawson Hwy about more cuts to Medicare.

Clive Palmer to re-open refinery

Clive Palmer on ABC radio.

Clive Palmer talks about his achievements, election chances and re-opening the...

Burnett Heads housing development approved

COUNCIL APPROVED: A Burnett Heads housing development has been approved by Bundaberg Regional Council. Photo Contributed

Councillors approved the development seven votes to four

Three bedroom, 1100sqm block: Is this Qld's cheapest home?

BARGAIN BUY: Is this North Bundaberg property the cheapest home in Queensland?

Becoming a real estate mogul is all about risk and reward