FROM gym junkies to casual gym users, everyone has a theory on what's the best practice when working out.
Julie Withoos from Yaralla Fitness Club said the 'Do's' of working out at a gym are pretty simple and based on common sense.
"Bring a towel so you're not working out in other people's sweat. Dress appropriately and wear the correct shoes. Hydrate often and seek advice from qualified personal trainers," Ms Withoos said.
However she said there were plenty 'Don'ts' when it came to working out at the gym.
Common gym blunders:
1. Going too hard too soon.
2. Not knowing your limitations: don't lift weights that are too heavy.
3. Not seeking advice from fitness professionals.
4. Warming up appropriately: warm up the muscles you will be working on.
5. Don't repeat the same program: mix it up and try new exercises.
6. Pushups: always hold your elbows at a 90 degree angle, stay on your toes and keep your head in line with your spine.
7. Do crunches, not sit ups: lie down and only lift your shoulders off the ground, rolling your spine up and down.
8. Squats: when squatting don't come down in an upright position. Perform the action the same as you would sit on a chair.
9. Deadlifts: don't slouch. Keep your back straight and only perform the exercise if you have good core strength.
10. Shoulder exercises: don't over extend your joints by raising weights too high or wide.
11. Bench press: always have someone spotting you. Don't bring the bar down too far.
12. Pull down: don't pull the bar behind your head because it could cause your neck to hyper-extend. Always pull the bar down in front of your head.
13. Lunges: Align your body properly so you don't place extra pressure on your knees.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.