Please allow me to outline my case for contesting the Mayoral position.
The Gladstone Region is in need of strong leadership and someone who is not afraid to take a stand and make some hard decisions. The situation we find ourselves in at the moment, with rapid growth of industry and the impact of this, and the flow on effect it is having on the liveability of our region is one that requires a strong leadership role from Council, in particular the Mayor.
With longevity in local Council and time as Deputy Mayor of Calliope Shire, representing the current Council as its delegate on and Deputy President of the Central Queensland Local Government Association I have built a solid foundation in local government. This has equipped me with the skills and knowledge to lead our region.
I am a qualified Surveyor with a background in business, having been a director and partner in a successful local business. I also serve as a director on the board of a local financial institution and am aware of the pressures being faced by business and the community in our region.
I will focus on
Roads Infrastructure, including additional funding for gravel roads
Parks, sport, recreation and liveability of our Region.
Additional Disabled Parking
Taking Council Back to the Community
I am a believer in "walking the talk' and getting things done. I know having a team of people who share your vision and want to work with you is paramount in achieving goals. I believe that by adding strong leadership to the Council, we can achieve change and make a difference.
Respect, honesty and integrity are the cornerstones to the way I live my life and if elected as Mayor, I will work tirelessly for this community. It is a big ask that you place your trust in me, but I can assure you it will not be abused nor will it be misplaced.
Professional and life experience
• I have strong connections to our region that stretch back over 100 years, with 4 generations of my family still living in the local area.
• Strong and demonstrated negotiating ability, used to dealing with Government departments eg resumption by State of family land in Targinnie precinct of G.S.D.A. - 5 years of negotiation
• Big believer in walking the talk, cutting through red tape and getting things done. I have an outcome and solution focus.
• Qualified Engineering and Mining Surveyor with extensive experience in mining (underground and open cut), construction and land development sectors.
• Business partner and director of local small business until election to G.R.C. in 2008.
• Have good interpersonal skills and have always demonstrated respect, honesty and integrity in any of my dealings.
• Have served on many community organisations and am currently the President of the Mount Larcom and District Show Society, President of the Gladstone Multicultural Association and a Director of the Calliope and District Community Bank.
• Have served a thorough and comprehensive 15 year apprenticeship in local government under the Mayoralship of the late George Creed in both Calliope Shire ( Deputy Mayor ) and Gladstone Regional Councils
• Council representative on local and regional bodies e.g. Sports foundation, Civic Beautification Committee, R.A.D.F. in the past, CQ Waste Management Committee, Central Qld Local Government Association ( 12 years, last 4 as Vice President )
• Know and understand the value of having a strategic plan and working as a team to achieve outcomes beneficial to our regional community.
Join the Community.
Get your local news, your way.
Update your news preferences and get the latest news delivered to your inbox.