Fishermen claim dredging impact covered up by GPC

The Rotterdam cutter suction dredge on Gladstone Harbour.
The Rotterdam cutter suction dredge on Gladstone Harbour. David Sparkes

CLAIMS of a cover-up over Gladstone's massive dredging project could be key to a fishing industry class action against Gladstone Ports Corporation.

Fisherman Trevor Falzon is leading the class action, which includes more than 20 fishermen, crabbers and trawlers who want more compensation for alleged lost fishing grounds.

It's the second case fishers have brought against the port, claiming they weren't adequately compensated for the Western Basin Dredging and Disposal Project.

Mr Falzon said the latest case could include revelations of what he called a "cover-up".

He claimed information about the environmental effects of the project had been hidden from regulators.

But a port corporation spokeswoman maintained no environmental information had been withheld from state or federal authorities.

Mr Falzon alleged a report about a leaking bund wall was kept under wraps for more than a year, before being released two weeks ago.

"There's hundreds more things that have happened that they haven't told us about," he said.

"In getting this case together, we've learnt they're not forthcoming giving up the documentation, and even when we've been to the authorities, it all fell on deaf ears."

That report found the bund wall, part of the Western Basin dredging project, was leaking and causing turbidity problems in the harbour.

In getting this case together, we've learnt they're not forthcoming giving up the documentation, and even when we've been to the authorities, it all fell on deaf ears

While the port acknowledged dredging operations had contributed to some increased turbidity, it has maintained the project did not contribute to fish disease problems in the harbour dating to 2011.

Mr Falzon said while the case was mainly about compensation for fishermen, he believed the port had a responsibility to release information to regulators and the public.

"How can they do this when they had clear directions to release information?" he said. "The whole harbour development should be stopped until it's sorted out."

The port spokeswoman said all reports related to the project were "made available to all government departments and relevant authorities".

But questions about the release of reports regarding the overall environmental condition of the harbour unrelated to the dredging project went unanswered on Thursday.

The spokeswoman said the port had released "hundreds of reports on its website as required by licence conditions", and GPC had met all its obligations for reporting environmental incidents.

She said GPC also provided "a full list of reports" undertaken for the dredging project to the Federal Government's independent inquiry into the harbour management.

She added "additional reports were published when requested - as stipulated by the project's conditions".

Topics:  dredging environment gladstone harbour gladstone ports corporation

'F*** off dogs': Crash survivor strikes paramedic

PARMEDIC HIT: Bonnie Brodie assaulted a paramedic called to a crash scene to help her.

Car crash survivor hits paramedic, kicks cop, gets jail - suspended.

Tourism boost with 'hundreds' flocking to Gladstone's CBD

Tannum Sands treasure Maree McLelvie, Gladstone president Hether Wieland and Gladstone vice president Pat Van Bergen with artwork donater by Sue Daw which is just one of the items on auction at next weeks QCWA conference.

More than 300 people will flock to Gladstone next week.

Local Partners

'Best markets yet': Big sales at CBD markets: Photos

THE smell of fresh flowers, fruit and vegetables waft through the Gladstone CBD for the second City Farmer's Markets today.

Your chance to win

Learn More

Former Split Enz front man Tim Finn finds new niche

Singer Tim Finn has written the music for theatre production Ladies in Black.

Musician finds his way to theatre

Barry Gibb is coming to Bluesfest 2017

FANS: Barry Gibb talks to a fan next to a cardboard cutout of his young self.

Aged 70, Gibb has re-launched his solo music career with a new album

Tim Finn headlining at Airlie Beach Music Festival

Music veteran Tim Finn from New Zealand will headline the Airlie Beach Music Festival.

Tim Finn: "It's the kind of festival that artists love"

Azealia Banks won't take legal action against Russell Crowe

Rapper Azealia Banks

Rapper drops legal action against Russell Crowe

Brad Pitt meets with his kids amid divorce proceedings

Actor Brad Pitt

Brad Pitt has met up with his oldest son Maddox

Pictures of Taylor Swift allegedly being groped are sealed

They could "complicate jury selection".

Bruce Springsteen finds therapy useful

Singer Bruce Springsteen

Singer encourages others to seek help

Kerry Washington wants one more child

Kerry Washington recently gave birth to her second child

Kerry has only just become a new mum again

TRAVEL: Musicals light up Sydney

David Campbell performs in Dream Lover.

We take a trip through one of Sydney's finer scenes

Hit songwriter's Noosa mansion on market

SPECIAL PLACE: The Cintamani estate is going to tender, marketed by Tom Offermann Real Estate.

Is this Queensland's best property?

Kiwi siblings snap up Dotcom mansion for $32.5m

The new toy company owners of the Coatesville mansion want replace any controversy with positivity and fun. Photo / Barfoot and Thompson

The trio paid $32.5 million for the property in June

Push to sell homes that flooded Gladstone's market

Suburban housing in Glenvale, Toowoomba, Friday, October 17, 2014. Photo Kevin Farmer / The Chronicle

URGENT push to cash-up first home buyers investing in Gladstone.

New $200 million development will create 580 jobs

Cassie And Josh with baby Alfie and daughter Andee. They have bought at new Lennox Head development Epiq.

Majority of new positions will be given to Northern Rivers locals

Cherrabah's mega resort plans axed

PLANS for a massive development at Cherrabah have been scrapped.

What our mayor thinks of the new draft SEQPlan

The plan to use the innovative technology as part of the new Maroochydore CBD was cemented on site today when Mayor Mark Jamieson and Envac Asia Region president Chun Yong Ha formally signed the contract for the $20 million underground waste collection system.

New plan accommodates Sunshine Coast Council's vision for growth.