News

Bomb maker on run as housemate faces court

NICHOLAS Hart always knew those close to him didn't think he was a bomb maker - now, he says, the world knows.

The 37-year-old Agnes Water boat driver on Tuesday narrowly avoided a jail term after being caught in possession of three handmade explosives in his home.

Gladstone Magistrate's Court heard Hart's former flatmate was wanted by Australia's terrorist-hunting police, ASIO, and that swayed Magistrate Shaun Shearer to give the accused the benefit of the doubt.

He was given a three-month prison sentence suspended for three years for possessing three homemade bombs, and drug charges he admitted to in court.

MORE GLADSTONE NEWS:

>> Teen girl jailed after biting nurse

>> Gladstone revealed as a hotspot for women's cancer

>> Man found not guilty of groping grandmother

>> Guys and girls love nudie, rudie body scrub

A vindicated Hart said it had been difficult facing court when the bombs belonged to someone else.

"It's a pretty hard sentence, but it's guilty by association," he said.

Defence lawyer Cassandra Ditchfield said that Hart kicked out his flatmate for making the explosives.

Hart then found the bombs - made from cans and modified shot-gun pellets - after his housemate left.

She said Hart stored the explosives on a laundry shelf because "he couldn't just throw them in the rubbish".

Outside court, Hart said: "This guy's left stuff behind and obviously it's really serious stuff."

"What people think of me is none of my business. The people that matter to me know the truth of it."

However, Magistrate Shearer was dubious about Hart's story.

"Why would someone who found bombs in their home leave them sitting there for weeks and weeks?" he asked.

"People who are in possession of bombs that kill and maim people are committing a very serious offence.

"If any had detonated it would obviously cause damage and possibly kill someone."

Police prosecutor Senior Constable Emma Bonnyman confirmed to the judge that the former flatmate, who they did not name, was a person of interest and ASIO had taken investigations over.

The trail went cold at a temporary address in Western Australia.

The bombs were found in a drug raid two weeks ago.

A conviction against Hart was recorded.

Topics:  agnes water, asio, bombs, gladstone magistrates court, terrorism




UPDATE: Chemical spill closes road as police investigate death in Gladstone horror crash

A driver had died in a crash on Hanson Rd.

POLICE investigate the death of a 23-yearold in yesterday's crash.

UPDATE: Migaloo ventured past Gladstone today

FILE: Migaloo is expected to cruise past Gladstone this weekend.

All-white humpback whale Migaloo returns

Latest deals and offers

#SaveMarinaJoyce: How ISIS theory took over youtube channel

One young Youtuber accidentally gave rise to a conspiracy theory

Talking whiskey with Jack Daniel’s master distiller

It all comes down to the distillery

SIXTY MILES AHEAD sign with Eclipse Records, prepare new album 'Insanity'

Sixty Miles Ahead sign with Eclipse. Photo Contributed

Sixty Miles Ahead to release new album on Eclipse

Thy Art Is Murder are killing it

See Thy Art is Murder on their killer tour happening right now. Photo Contributed

We talk with Thy Art is Murder about touring, babies, and new music

Date announced for Prince tribute concert

A Prince tribute concert will take place later this year

Matt Damon is taking a break from acting

Matt Damon is taking a break to spend time with his family

Queensland's $1 town goes under the hammer today

The township of Yelarbon is up for sale.

Unprecedented auction of town's business centre with no reserve

Work starts on $15M Caloundra apartment building

Turning the first sod at the Aqua View Apartments site in Kings Beach are (from left) husband-and-wife developers Alex Yuan and Stella Sun with construction company Tomkins director Mike Tomkins and Councillor Tim Dwyer.

Developers excited about addition to Kings Beach skyline

72-year-old Coast developer set to start new project

GREEN LIGHT: The Cosmopolitan has been approved for development at Cotton Tree.

Meet the Canberran set to deliver another chapter for Coast suburb

Plans revealed for 1500-lot 'master-planned community'

Precinct will be bounded by Boundary St and Shoesmith Rd

Ecco Ripley sales run sparks prime release

MOVING IN: Sekisui House has announced the release of more residential blocks at Ecco Ripley.

Sekisui House is preparing to unveil more land at Ecco Ripley

The climb is slow but property on the way up

Michael Matusik, director of Matusik Property Insights.Photo Allan Reinikka / The Morning Bulletin

The improvement would be mild when compared to past cycles