News

Be prepared to be hassled by Census staff a lot more

WOES: Census' epic fail on August 9 earnt the ire of many.
WOES: Census' epic fail on August 9 earnt the ire of many. Contributed

DESPITE a shambolic start the Australian Bureau of Statistics is telling us nearly 95% of households have completed the national survey.

Ten million households were under the scope of the Census and a Census spokesman said they'd so far identified about 8.7 million households occupied on Census night (August 9).

Of those 8.7 million almost 95% had returned their forms ahead of today's final return date.

The spokesman said that percentage would alter slightly as the number of non-respondents was identified and that data captured, meaning the final figure on just how many households took part will still be some time away from being known.

He said the Bureau didn't factor for responses from unoccupied households.

University of the Sunshine Coast senior lecturer of social science and statistics expert Doctor Peter Innes said the completion rate announced was an impressive figure.

He said typical surveys were lucky to achieve a participation rate higher than 10%.

"Typical response rates (to surveys) can be very low," Dr Innes said.

"In research terms, it's (the Census participation rate) excellent. Anywhere over 90% heading towards 95% of a population ... that's always going to give you fantastic indicators."

But Dr Innes prefaced his comments with a salient point.

If the technical issues and controversy over data being collected had driven a specific group away from completing the survey, the data produced would be skewed.

"If it's (non-participation) systematic (rather than random) it's a problem because it represents a bias," Dr Innes said.

"If non-responses are random it's not going to be a problem, the data indicators will still be okay (as any bias would be washed out).

"If they lose a type of person (from the data) well that's going to be a problem," he said.

In the 2011 Census, 89.3% of dwellings were found to be occupied on Census night, with unoccupied residences having to be accounted for in order to accurately calculate the response rate.

The spokesman said fines were still available to be imposed on those who did not partake, although Census workers can visit households up to five times to try and capture data before a notice is issued and matters are progressed to prosecution.

The Census helpline will stay open until the end of September.

Topics:  australian bureau of statistics, census 2016, data, editors picks, federal government, statistics, sunshine coast



Storms are coming! What it means for your long weekend

Yes, it's going to affect your long weekend

CCTV FOOTAGE: Gladstone man chases 'stolen ute'

CCTV: Man chases ute after woman drives off in it.

POLICE are now searching for the woman in the CCTV footage.

Gladstone police search for woman in CCTV footage

SNAPPED: The vehicle and the woman was also spotted at the Dingo service station where police will allege the woman stole some items.

Quick conversation leaves man without car.

Local Partners

Katy Perry gets naked to encourage people to vote

Katy Perry in Funny Or Die sketch

Katy Perry has stripped naked for a comedy video

Jogging Tom Hanks crashes wedding in Central Park

Tom Hanks stopped for a selfie with this bride and groom

MOVIE REVIEW: Storks delivers family fun

A scene from the movie Storks.

ANIMATION can be hit or miss but when it hits, it hits hard.

Nick 'the snake' to call the shots on Survivor jury

Australian Survivor contestant Nick Iadanza.

LATEST evictee is out of the game but will still have a say.

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber split

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber

Naomi Watts and Liev Schreiber have split after 11 years together.

Why Chris Hemsworth was spotted wearing nail polish

RED CARPET: Do you think Chris Hemsworth is the typical unpolished but well-natured Aussie bloke?

He's now officially the best bloke in Australia

$40million hotel, shops development project for Mackay

Mt Pleasant hotel and retirement accommodation, proposed at 194-202 Malcomson St.

$40m development to take Mackay to 'the next level'

'Flex muscles': Gladstone suburb drops $120K

BUYERS are scooping unprecedented deals by “flexing their muscles at the table”

Few bright lights for property after mining downturn

The Gladstone Regional Council wants associated LNG companies like Bechtel to be apart of the EIS housing accommodation strategy from the outset of the projects and not mid-way through.

Tannum Sands continues to write its own property success story

Property 200m from ocean selling for just over $100K

BEACHCOMBER PARK: Work has started on a new $19.2 million development at Toogoom.

The estate's developer is offering huge discounts for early buyers.

UPDATE: Former rodeo champ's sale rained out, now back on

Larkhill local Ken Consiglio is having an auction of most of the things on his property.

'People kept showing up and we had to turn them away'

Market opens as Gladstone sellers drop prices to force sale

VENDORS are dropping the price on houses to force a sale.